8/11/14

Design Trends



Hi all.... 
This is Nancy from Powell Brower Interiors.  I am happy to fill in for Julie while she is taking some much needed 'down' time after her family's loss this summer.  She is an amazing presence in our design community and we hope she gets the rest and battery recharging that she needs. Bless you and your family Julie. She asked me to talk about design, so let's talk about trends...

With fall approaching people look for the next trend and opportunity to transform their homes with the 'latest' in decor.  My recent post "Are you on Board?" brought us to thinking about those marketing ploys and "colors of the year" and how some people jump on them, and other's not.


Whether it is a paint brands 'color of the year", Pantone's, or any other brand's color pick for the year, what that really is is a marketing tool that retailers jump on spawning the influx of that color into the marketplace at every level.  Take it or leave it, but what I find interesting is that it brings that color to' light' where you may not have noticed it that much before.  You are more aware of it since it hit the headlines and products in that color are easier to find.

I think it's fun, but I don't necessarily subscribe to trends as much as using the following guidelines:


  • DO WHAT YOU LOVE, AND BE COMMITTED TO IT
  • IF YOURE LOOKING TO UPDATE, CHECK OUT MAGAZINES AND PINTEREST FOR INSPIRATION, AS A JUMPING OFF POINT- NOT LITERAL.
  • ADD YOUR OWN PERSONAL STORY TO THE ROOM, MAKE IT "YOU", NOT SOMEONE ELSE'S ROOM
  • DON'T PUT EVERYTHING NEW AND TRENDY ALL IN ONE ROOM
  • IF YOU LOVE A COLOR USE IT, NO MATTER IF IT'S 'ON TREND' OR NOT.
  • ADD FAMILY HEIRLOOMS AND 'FOUND' ELEMENTS TO YOUR DESIGN.
  • REMEMBER OUR "BRAGG" CONCEPT, TIPS WE FOLLOW WITH EVERY JOB.





Are you seeing alot of all white rooms, or all black rooms, or all white kitchens? These certainly are hot right now, but wait, there's another look just on the horizon! We are seeing beige in every variety coming back.


We are moving back to neutral environments with color added, as opposed to each room being a different bold color. Remember the days when the carpet colors changed from room to room?  At least we seemed to learn from that one, and opted for different wall colors from room to room, but a neutral floor that tied it altogether.  Now we are 'cleansing our decor palettes' in our homes and resetting our compasses with whites, beiges and many pale shades of colors all claiming to be the new neutrals.

For the last 10 years everyone painted all their wood furniture. It seems like original integrity of wood and using natural tones are coming back, with "earthtones' sneaking their way back in slightly different hues; Mustard, Ochre, Brown-colors in nature. I wonder what the color predictors will label this trend? Natural with a kick?


Are you bringing back earth tones in some way or another yet? I'm all for cleansing our palettes from time to time.

Enjoy your last month of summer and come visit our blog, Powell Brower !
 1/2/3/4













                     

13 comments:

  1. I'm glad "unpainted" furniture is coming back. I love a good lacquer, but some antiques just aren't meant to be painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy, a great post! That taupe room works so well because of the striking black and cream accents, a level of sophistication!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree, Agree, Agree......not doing "trends" or what's the next paint color! We put in what makes us happy, You live in your rooms, make them you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, Nancy! I always enjoy checking out the latest trends in shelter magazines. Thanks for this guest post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well said, Nancy! Trends are fun but you have to go with your heart if you are going to live with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. Thought provoking! I'm liking neutral for longevity with splashes of color in every room. It's easy for me to commit to pillows instead of a sofa in a color or print.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great post Nancy...I agree with absolutely everything you have said...and I love that room with the mustard lamp & animal pillows!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Nancy! I love he fun and colorful rooms you have chosen.
    Julie, you are in my prayers.
    Teresa
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your perspective! I am also seeing the color trends shift a bit! So sweet to be helping Julie out!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nancy, I'm way behind on your posts .. it's been a crazy summer with the house being built and I can't seem to focus on much else. At any rate, this was a timely post as we make decisions regarding wall colors. I've chosen to go neutral (a light gray) and color in the one of the powder rooms in addition to accessories. It's interesting how design changes and it's fun to see the earth tones coming back. I've tried painting furniture and it's just okay .. I'm looking forward to starting from scratch and updating to a more contemporary feel to my home.

    I hope you are having a nice summer:) I should be back with an updated blog in a month or so when things settle down with the house.

    (I just noticed that you have my old blog site up on your side bar ~ trouverlesoleil. It doesn't work anymore;)

    xxleslie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It's early still and I meant to say I chose a neutral wall color except for a pop of color in one of my powder rooms AND I will enjoy changing/adding seasonal colors to the otherwise neutral rooms!!

      Delete

One Kings Lanes

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...